Thursday 7 January 2010

Anna Tunnicliffe Honoured by US Sailing/Rolex Again


Anna Tunnicliffe competing in Kieler Woche 2009. Image copyright Luther Carpenter.

by Anna Tunnicliffe

I received some great news today from Rolex. They announced the 2009 winners of the US Sailing/Rolex Yachtswoman of the Year, and I am very proud to announce that I have been awarded this prestigious award for the second year running.

I’m so excited to win. It’s a fantastic feeling, and a wonderful way to end the past season and begin the new one.

I have had a great year of sailing, in Laser Radial fleet racing, Match racing and Keelboat fleet racing. My crew, Molly Vandemoer (also a finalist for this award), Debbie Capozzi, Liz Bower, and Alice Manard, all put in a lot of work last year and helped me to some outstanding finishes. I owe them a very big Thank You. I also have to thank my coaches who helped me at my regattas last year. And of course, all my sponsors. It's been a lot of fun, and like I said, a great way to start the new season.

This news comes as we (the team) are preparing for our first USSTAG Qualifying regatta, (to earn the right to represent US Sailing at future events), that is coming up this weekend here in Miami. Our team of Molly, Debbie, and I have been training in the Elliot 6m. We have had some excellent sailing conditions, enabling us to get in plenty of good practice time in the boats. Our regatta starts on Friday and runs through Sunday. There are seven teams registered for the event this weekend; five of the teams are sailing in the clinic this week. It is a great opportunity for us all to learn from each other as we try to figure out these new boats. Every day we are feeling more and more comfortable and in tune with the equipment. I will write an update before the upcoming regatta starts.

Again, I am very excited, and thank everyone for their support throughout the past year.

We would like to thank Carmeuse for their continued support of our campaign for the Gold in the 2012 Olympics in London. We would also like to thank USSTAG for their support.

Anna Tunnicliffe

No comments: